Thursday, October 6, 2011

Airport Security Drama

Really people? Every time?

Zoos send and receive animals all the time. Animals die, new exhibits are built, some are exchanged for breeding purposes, etc. Zoos buy, sell, trade, and loan animals to each other. Animals travel by truck or plane. This is not a new concept. Magical fairies don't show up in the middle of the night bringing monkeys and macaws.

I understand that since 9/11 airport security has tightened. But why does there have to be drama every time?!

I don't care if it's a duck, an otter or a tiger, I am NOT getting it out of the crate for them to scan. It's not a pet. It's not a Persian or a Chihuahua. It's a wild animal with an extreme fight or flight response. In some cases the animals have the potential to be deadly. Every time a superior has to be called over and they always say the same thing "Look in as best you can with a flashlight and swab the crate" (for certain chemicals).

The two agents that were there when we shipped out the tiger cubs kept trying to explain to the horde of others what needed to be done, but they wouldn't listen. They insisted on calling the head supervisor, who was not pleased to be disturbed over a problem that should have never been.

After all that, I walked out to the truck and there is a $25 parking ticket tucked under a wiper blade. Really?! I quickly found a security guard "Um, seriously?! I'm not paying this. I'm in a loading/unloading only zone UNLOADING an animal. This is the same spot we always park in." He muttered something about letting him know next time and took the ticket.

My first experience taking an animal to the airport was adult cheetahs. After being told that the animals would have to be removed from their crates, the keeper I was with said "Feel free. But only after we are in the truck and drive off."

I'm waiting on the time I get to ship out snakes. I'll be more than happy to let them slither across the counter and scare everyone. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment